-->

artists // HONY by brandon stanton

01/02/2014


Brandon Stanton is a different kind of photographer. And even though I only came across his work a couple of days ago, I think it's such an involving project I had to share.
After failing at the typical 9 to 5 job thing, Stanton explored different alternatives. Eventually he decided to pursue photography and moved to New York. At first, it was just portraits. He intended to create some sort of catalogue of the people of the City That Never Sleeps. However, as the project grew and changed he started collecting quotes and advice from others, as well as their personal experiences, and sharing them alongside the pictures. And that's how Humans of New York came into being.


"At first we kept saying: 'We're going to beat it. We're going to beat it.' Then after a while we began to realize that we might not beat it. Then toward the end, it became clear that we definitely weren't going to beat it. That's when she started telling me that she wanted me to move on and find happiness with somebody else. But I'm not quite there yet. Not long ago a noise woke me up in the middle of the night, and I rolled over to ask if she needed anything."

"My parents had me late in life, so my dad is 78 now. Kinda hard to be this young and watch them go that way already."
Also, moment of appreciation for the girl who didn’t give a shit about being photographed in the Erotica section.

"My girlfriend and I aborted a child a couple of weeks ago."
“I’m sorry for your loss.”
“We didn’t lose anything. It was a choice.”
“Were both of you equally on board with the decision?”
“She followed my lead, which made it tougher I guess. But I’ve got so much going on right now, and she just opened her own theater show. It’s just not the right time.”
“How’s the aftermath been?”
“You know, I always thought of abortion as a common thing. I’m a liberal guy. Pro-choice and everything. But I never imagined how bloody painful it was going to be.”
“Do you mind if I post your story?”
“With my picture? I’d prefer not.”

"One shot. Three dollars."

14 comments:

  1. Love his idea and work, it's a really interesting way to meet people and "know" them ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. esse projecto é altamente, conheces um semelhante feito no Porto? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podia ter posto logo o link x) é Humans of Porto https://www.facebook.com/portohumans?fref=ts

      Delete
  3. Gostei imenso desta ideia. Acho que estas fotografias, sendo tão simples, transmitem imenso. Por detrás de muita gente, existem grandes histórias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. acho que as frases que ele acrescenta fazem toda a diferença :)

      Delete
  4. Adoro este projeto. Uma colega minha falou-me dele e acho super engracado.

    Joana x When You Dream Big

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky to buy all my cameras in great contidion and with nice price. :) I love all of them, all take beautiful photos, somehow they are all like my kids haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sim, é mesmo esse das Witch :P Andei a vasculhar e encontrei-o!

    http://diariesgirlnextdoor.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Não conhecia, mas está tão simples e tão perfeito ao mesmo tempo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Não conhecia, mas fiquei fã do trabalho dele

    ReplyDelete